17 June 2008
Newcastle Greens Councillor Michael Osborne today announced a public forum on renewable energy development, titled ‘Life beyond Coal’, to be held at Newcastle City Hall on Friday 27th June 2008 at 7.30 pm.
“Newcastle and the Hunter can lead the way to a life beyond coal,” Newcastle Greens Councillor Michael Osborne said today.
“This forum will give people of the Hunter threatened by the expansion of the coal industry, and Newcastle, the world's largest coal port, an opportunity to openly discuss aspects of alternative energy resource development that can reduce our fossil fuel consumption without costing us our jobs or the earth.”
The Forum will be facilitated by Michael Osborne and guest speakers include:
- Mr Ian Dunlop, former International Senior oil, gas and industry executive
- Prof Bogdan Dlugogorski, Director, Research Centre for Energy from University of Newcastle
- Mr Ian Murray, District President of the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union
- Jarra Hicks, National Convenor of the Australian Students Environmental Network
- Senator Christine Milne, Greens Senator and Spokesperson for Climate Change and Renewable Energy
- Marilyn Eade, ALP councillor on Newcastle City Council
Members of the public, industry, unions, educational and community organisations and political representatives are most welcome to attend.